Thursday, March 27, 2008
The other day in the car, Jonah asked where we were going. We were taking our bunny Cottontail to have her teeth trimmed (they grow crooked, poor thing). He asked if it was "near the place where we go to talk about God and Jesus". That seems to be his question anytime we are going somewhere. I told Jonah we go to church on Sundays. Then I asked him, "You like church don't you?" To my surprise, he said NO. The reason for my surprise is that Jonah has been the reason that Sean and I have been more open to church and following our failth. So for him to say he didnt like church was a surprise! I asked why. Jonah's simply said, "They are not nice to Mommys". I didn't understand what he meant, so I asked him to explain.
Jonah said, "When we go to church, we always talk about God and Jesus, but we don't ever talk about Jesus' mommy. Was she a bad person? If not, then we should talk about her more because mommys are very important. And I dont like church because we always stand by the big black thing (he means the speaker) and those people in church sing loud and everytime we go - JESUS IS NOT THERE!"
At first, I had to laugh. It has been hard for me to see my baby growing up. There is nothing about him that is baby anymore and I will never get that back. And to be having these "mature" conversations with him was mind blowing. I also had to laugh because his reasons for not liking church were ones that could be explained, and none of them were a reason to not go anymore.
So I explained to him that we can talk about Mary anytime he wants to, the people in the church are singing loudly because they are happy and they are feeling the presence in theirs hearts and want to sing out to God. And as for Jesus, I told him that He is ALWAYS there with him. As our friend Peter helped me explain it to Jonah when he wanted to know why he couldn't play in the sandbox with God, I said "Like air, he is everywhere."
Of course, typical Jonah did not accept this answer and wanted to know where Jesus lived. I told him that he lives in Heaven. His response was true, but creepy -"Let's go there this weekend."
A car ride that was supposed to be 5 minutes turned into 20 minutes. Opening the door to this conversation about heaven and death was something I knew we had to have, no matter how scary it could be - for the both of us!
I don't care that we were late for the vet appointment. That 20 minute conversation of pure honesty with my 5 year old is what mattered.
This sunday we will be back at church and Jonah asked that we not stand near the "black thing" and wants to ask the "guy who talks about God" if we can mention Jesus' mommy.
A pure proud peacock moment for me.
Monday, March 24, 2008
Me: Yes, Jonah.
Jonah: (louder) MOMMY?
Me: YES, Jonah
Jonah: Do you know where my red car is? You know, the one I got from Nana and Papa? You know, the really, really, really fast one? You know which one Mommy? The red one?
Me: Yes, you took it to bed with you. Check your room.
Jonah: It's not there.
Me: Check again.
Jonah: But Mommy, I did. It's not there.
Me: Check again.
Jonah: But MOMMY, its not there. Can't you look for it?
Me: Jonah, it is in your room.
Jonah: I didn't see it.
Me: Check again.
Jonah: But Mommy, can't you look for me?
Me: Jonah, just check your room.
Jonah: MOMMY, ITS NOT THERE!
Me: Dude, just check your room!!
Stomping up the stairs comes Jonah.....after 2 minutes in his room......
Jonah: Mommy!! You are the bestest mommy ever!! You knew I wanted to play with this car and you knew this was special! Thank you mommy! You are the most beautifulest, most bestest Mommy ever! I love you!
Me: I love you too Buddy.
Sometimes, it is that simple.
Thursday, March 20, 2008
1. My mother taught me TO APPRECIATE A JOB WELL DONE .'If you're going to kill each other, do it outside. I just finished cleaning.'
2. My mother taught me RELIGION.'You better pray that will come out of the carpet.'
3. My mother taught me about TIME TRAVEL .'If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle ofnext week!'
4. My mother taught me LOGIC.'Because I said so, that's why.'
5. My mother taught me MORE LOGIC.'If you fall out of that swing and break your neck, you're not going tothe store with me.'
6. My mother taught me FORESIGHT.'Make sure you wear clean underwear, in case you're in an accident.'
7. My mother taught me IRONY'Keep crying, and I'll give you something to cry about.'
8. My mother taught me about the science of OSMOSIS.'Shut your mouth and eat your supper.'
9. My mother taught me about CONTORTIONISM.'Will you look at that dirt on the back of your neck!'
10. My mother taught me about STAMINA.'You'll sit there until all that spinach is gone.'
11. My mother taught me about WEATHER.'This room of yours looks as if a tornado went through it.'
12. My mother taught me about HYPOCRISY.'If I told you once, I've told you a million times. Don't exaggerate!'
13. My mother taught me the CIRCLE OF LIFE.'I brought you into this world, and I can take you out.'
14. My mother taught me about BEHAVIOUR MODIFICATION.'Stop acting like your father!'
15. My mother taught me about ENVY .'There are millions of less fortunate children in this world who don'thave wonderful parents like you do.'
16. My mother taught me about ANTICIPATION.'Just wait until your father gets home.'
17. My mother taught me about RECEIVING .'You are going to get it when you get home!'
18. My mother taught me MEDICAL SCIENCE.'If you don't stop crossing your eyes, they are going to freeze thatway.'
19. My mother taught me ESP.'Put your sweater on; don't you think I know when you are cold?'
20. My mother taught me HUMOUR.'When that lawn mower cuts off your toes, don't come running to me..'
21. My mother taught me HOW TO BECOME AN ADULT .'If you don't eat your vegetables, you'll never grow up.'
22. My mother taught me GENETICS.'You're just like your father.'
23. My mother taught me about my ROOTS.'Shut that door behind you. Do you think you were born in a barn?'
24. My mother taught me WISDOM.'When you get to be my age, you'll understand.'
25. The one we can NOW understand: My mother taught me about JUSTICE 'One day you'll have kids, and I hope they turn out just like you!'
Tuesday, March 18, 2008
Bon Jovi came to Toronto once again on March 12th and of course we were there!
I was really excited about this concert because I was not only going with my sister who is also a huge Bon Jovi fan, but I was taking my husband with me. The only concert he has ever been to was Luther Vandross. And while Luther is a lovely singer, lets face it people.....that was not a concert! Bon Jovi puts on a show like no other. After 26 years of performing, this dude has STILL got it goin on! And I was so looking forward to Sean experiencing the energy that comes out at his concerts. Unfortunately, Sean got sick and had hurt his shoulder at work. Now how is he supposed to rock out with a bummed shoulder. There was no way he would have had a good time. So he decided to back out - cue tears from me, slight temper tantrum, few doors slammed annnnnnnnd end fit. Informed my sister and she suggested we take James, my youngest nephew to the concert, his very first! So off I went to get James. With me as his aunt and Dawn as his mom, how could he NOT like Bon Jovi! So downtown we went to the concert.
This time in Toronto Chris Daughtry opened up the concert.....lets pause for a drool moment.......ok, dude is hot and sexy and he can perform. It was a great choice of opening act. But once Bon Jovi stepped out onto that stage, Daughtry was soon forgotten. Now, as big of a Bon Jovi fan I am, I have to say, the opening of the concert was disappointing. There was no work up or fabulous entry like they did in December. But seeing the look on James' face was PRICELESS.
A major highlight of the night was hearing my favourite Bon Jovi song - Blaze of Glory - and Daughtry came back out and they sang it as a duet!! It was incredible, they really should re-release it as a duet and I NEVER say that about Bon Jovi songs. They are sacred for heavens sake!
The band played for the crowd for 2.5 hours and the energy never lost its momentum. Our voices would be scratchy the next morning, our legs will be tired from standing and our arms would be aching from holding them up for so long, but we didnt care. We sang, we jumped up and down, we screamed, WE ROCKED IT PEOPLE!!
"Is there anybody out there, lookin for a party?? Shake your money maker, Baby, smoke it if you got it!"
"We're half way there Livin' on a prayer Take my hand and we'll make it - I swear Livin' on a prayer"
"Shot through the heart and you're to blame You give love a bad name I play my part and you play your game You give love a bad name"
Monday, March 17, 2008
This morning we woke to the sad news that another Canadian soldier has been killed in Afghanistan.
The soldier was killed when he stepped on a bomb while on foot patrol in the perilous Panjwaii district . The family has asked that his name not be released.
The ignorant statement from the Canadian Armed forces is that Sunday marks "the first time in almost a year that we lost a Canadian soldier on foot patrol" - WELL, whew! That just makes it all better then doesn't it?? Are you kidding me? Regardless of how we have lost the 81 soldiers on this mission, the fact remains that these families are mourning, our country is mourning and our hearts will continue to break while our men and women are across seas fighting for.......hmmm.....what is it again we are fighting for? Whatever the fight may be, these brave soldiers are away from their families, loved ones, children. We owe this country, these families and most importantly our soldiers a lot more than, well folks, it's been almost a year!
My heartfelt sympathies and prayers to the families of these brave soldiers.
Bring our soldiers home!
Sunday, March 16, 2008
We are feeling like we are living in a germ bubble that just keeps recycling illnesses! Sean is sick, I was sick, Jonah is sick, then back again we go. Sick, sick, sick! But we are determined to not let it get us down. So a smile on our face we sport, make some popcorn, cuddle under the blanket and watch a movie together - can't go wrong with that! Viewers pick? Stellaluna!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
So I thought I would give it a shot. I will do my best to keep it updated and who knows - maybe I will actually figure it out! LOL.