Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A Family Tradition

Every year my family carries out a tradition. We have dinner and we hang our "Name Balls" on Mom's "Do not touch" tree. Santa does not visit this tree, it is only for admiring ;)

My sister Dawn and I have balls (I usually call them bulbs, but people think I mean lights), anyway, we have balls that are dated 1982. That seems like forever ago! We all also have personalized balls that we hang.
My ball from 1982

Everyone gathers in the living room and one by one, Mom calls your name and you hang your ball on the tree. There is often competition to have your ball front and center, or at the very top!

Jonah loves when his name is called!

Jonah shows off his name ball.


Jonah hangs his beside his Momma's ;)

Jonah also loves to watch Papa's special train run around the Christmas Tree. And of course, we have to have a family picture for the scrapbook!


Christmas is such a magical time and it is my favourite time of year. Sometimes traditions fade and it really is a shame. Whatever traditions we have with Jonah, I want them to last and be meaningful, just like my family traditions growing up were. I remember my Dad reading to my sister and I on Christmas Eve. The last time we did this, I was 22 - YES 22!! It was the year before I was married. And in all honesty, I really miss it.

So here's to all family traditions! May they be passed on thru all generations.

Do you have traditions? I would love to hear about them!

6 comments:

Stacey said...

Beautiful pictures! What fun!! I want a do not touch tree! LOL Don't think I could keep the little fingers off f it in this house quite yet though. :)

Anonymous said...

AWH Char! I think I could cry! I often heard about the Christmas Ball date but I guess I never pushed to ask what it meant... only assumed it meant you guys were putting up the tree. DUH! that's a little more than putting up a tree it's memorable, traditional, meaningful and wonderful. What a 'wonderful life' and don't you worry you will definitely pass this on along.

The Walker Family said...

What a beautiful tradition! ( I felt as if I was there too!) I really like the "no touch" tree. Only Grandma could have one of those trees. It would be torture if we had one:)

A tradition we have is that by 12 noon on Christmas Day, our tree and decorations are back up in the attic! After a month, I'm craving my house back!

Anonymous said...

AWH Char! I think I could cry! I often heard about the Christmas Ball date but I guess I never pushed to ask what it meant... only assumed it meant you guys were putting up the tree. DUH! that's a little more than putting up a tree it's memorable, traditional, meaningful and wonderful. What a 'wonderful life' and don't you worry you will definitely pass this on along.

Anonymous said...

I'm a dope when it comes to blogging LOL I'm "anonymous" LOL

KariAnnS said...

This is such a sweet family tradition. It makes my heart go all gooey!!