In 2009 I selected the word STRIVE. I chose that for many reasons and really did think that it was a good word!
Little did I know that it would reflect much more than I anticipated.
The meaning of Strive, as indicated in the dictionary means:
- to exert oneself vigorously; try hard; to make strenuous efforts toward any goal:
Perfect! That is what I wanted to do!
My plans for 2009 were:
- STRIVE to be a better mom each day
- STRIVE to learn more about my hobby
- STRIVE to be healthier
- STRIVE to learn forgiveness
Now that 2009 has ended, I googled the word Strive again to see how it played against my year. I found these additional meanings:
- to contend in opposition, battle, or any conflict; compete.
- to struggle vigorously, as in opposition or resistance: to strive against fate.
- to rival; vie.
Boy! Is that ever true!!
I battled many things in 2009 - many which had great lessons and many which had great heartache.
- Deaths, unemployment, illness, car accident, kidney stones, broken elbow, intense physio, more deaths, being un-invited to a funeral, generally not being well!
I struggled vigorously - mostly to not lose my mind!
Rival - an on-going battle with Sean's family that continued even after death.
But.....at the end of it all, I survived.
I initially thought my little word for 2010 would be Survival. But I did that last year and I don't want to set a goal that assumes more bad things will come my way. I wanted to select a word that will really reflect my goals for 2010.
Without a doubt in my mind, I have selected the perfect word for myself:
For my mind, body and spirit, I want WELLNESS. No....I NEED wellness.
I am not going to sit back and hope this happens. I have made a plan for myself and I owe it to my family to make it happen. I am even going to document my wellness journey.
My first step for wellness is accepting that I have to have a hysterectomy. It has been scheduled for January 13th. This will help make my body well but it is up to me to make my mind well about it. I am working on it, I really am.
Wellness in 2010 is my goal and it's a goal that I am confident will be achieved.
Do you have a little word? Please share it with me!