Monday, January 18, 2010

What can be done?

I have been watching the news coverage of the destruction in Haiti and it makes me sick to my stomach and pisses me off. I too am devastated with what I am seeing. But this is where my anger falls into play.....

Why did we have to wait for this tragedy to acknowledge the despair??
Will we still be trying to raise the funds in a week, a month? Or only until the next distraction comes along - maybe when Michael Jacksons doctor goes on trial, or when Heidi Montag decides on yet another plastic surgery? Just like many tragedies, this will get bumped from the headlines quicker than NBC dumped Conan for Leno.

I am all for awareness and fundraising. I just wish it didn't have to take a tragedy to bring it forward.

I know you are asking, so Char, what are YOU doing to help out? How are YOU keeping the awareness alive?

I honestly don't know. Writing a cheque just doesn't seem to be enough. We have been teaching Jonah about giving and those less fortunate and I don't want that lesson to be lost.

My mind is turning.

Something has to be done. Something. I just don't know what I can do.

Sigh.......

1 comment:

Lee said...

I was watching the news this morning and when they said that every year Haiti gets torrential seasonal rains, which make homes and building collapse on a regular basis, I realized that Haitians don't even take care of themselves. It was like having a bucket of cold water thrown at me. Totally re-evaluating the whole thing.